Sunday, July 13, 2008

Parenting With Love and Logic


I was having a hard day last week, and my hormones were getting the best of me. For those of you who work with me, you know that my patience level isn't very high when that happens. I was talking to one of my friends about potty training McKenna, and how draining it is. She mentioned a book called Parenting With Love and Logic, and said she'd bring it to work with her the next day to let me borrow it. Can I just say, not only have I gotten more patience, but the way of thinking with how I word things to McKenna has changed already, and she's become a better listener and chooses the right choices that I give her! I'm still working on it, but usually I give her two choices: choice A (which is the better choice) or choice B (which is the not so better choice) and she does great! It basically helps you to teach your kids responsibility, and it's relieved stress already, on both her and myself. So what if it was written in the late 80's, and there's more books out there for todays kids? This one is working for me, and I would definatly recommend it to anyone who has kids and are at the their break of not having anymore patience.

2 comments:

Kaysha Alesa said...

Have you tried a swift punch in the face? It works wonders with my kids. But if that doesn't work, Michael Gurian is my hero regarding parenting. Then again his books are geared toward raiaing boys, but the author of "Raising Ophelia" is suggested by him and I have heard rave reviews. Luckily I haven't felt so desperate with Nora to acutally read it yet, but I probably should.

Heather said...

I second Reviving Ophelia! Of course, not yet because she's not an adolescent, but that sneaks up on you fast.