Thursday, September 25, 2008

Birth Mother Panel

I guess this next Thursday I'm going to be on a panel at the old Dixie High seminary building for adoptive parents/birth parents. My counselor called me yesterday and asked if I would be a volunteer, and of course I jumped at the offer! From what she was saying, it's only a once a year thing, and they don't have very many volunteers do it. Basically there will be couples there that are considering adoption, as well as young women who are considering placing their children. So it'll be part educational and part emotional. They'll be asking me questions, personal questions, that I will be more than happy to answer. My counselor wants me to do it because she said that I have the perfect example of how open adoption can be for those who want it. She also said that there aren't very many out there that keep it going as good as we have been able to. So, of course, I told her yes. :) I'll also be speaking in high schools here pretty soon too. She gave my number to the woman that is in charge of it, and she said that she'll call me by tomorrow to let me know when she would like to meet up and get to know each other a little. She's an adoptive parent as well, and she has a great open adoption with her birth mothers too.

4 comments:

Mitsy said...

That's awesome Ash! Good luck and congrats!

Whitaker Family said...

Awesome! This is just the kind of thing you're going to school for too! Good Luck!

Dad said...

As long as you don't worry about all the eyes staring at you, all the lives you might affect, all the judgements being levied at you, all their thoughts about how you look, how you speak, how that nervous little tic is becoming very distracting, how you notice they don't laugh when they're supposed to, how not even one knods her head in agreement, how bored they seems to be, and how a few keep pointing their finger at you and you don't know why.

You'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

Go Ash, Don't mind what your father says. You will do great.